We mentioned back in July that Microsoft would be rolling eventually out a new look to Office apps. We’ve recently started seeing that new look start to appear in the various Office apps. If the new look bothers you, you can revert back to the old one for now. Here’s how you do it.
- Open up a document (even a blank one) in Word, Excel, or Powerpoint. It doesn’t matter which app, once you change it in one place, it will apply to your main Office apps (including Outlook, even though you can’t change this setting from within Outlook).
- Click on the little megaphone icon next to the close, maximize and minimize buttons at the top of the window:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the “Coming Soon” tab that opens up, and flip the switch to turn off the “Try the new experience” option:
- Once it’s flipped to “Off”, it will prompt you that it will apply after a restart:
- Once you restart the application, the look will revert back to the previous look and feel.
Our guess is that eventually this “New Look” may end up being the permanent look, but feel free to tweak it while you still can.